I’m going to list some of my most frequently asked questions (FAQ) here but if you have any questions for me that are not listed here, just let me know in the comments.
How long have I been driving for Uber?
- Five years as of this year.
Do I like it?
- Yes. (If I didn’t I don’t think I would have stayed with it as long as I have because of the freedom I have with this job).
- Current record holder is three hours (would have been three and a half if I hadn’t taken a couple of alternate routes around some high-traffic areas)
- Current record is still $100 though if anyone wants to break that record they’re more than welcome to.
Any really strange or outrageous passengers?
- Nothing totally bizarre or anyone I couldn’t handle.
How much time do I spend at the airport?
- Enough to where I sometimes call it my home-away-from-home.
Are you from San Antonio?
- Born and raised, and I’m old enough to remember when things were built, or something else.
When do you drive?
- Anytime I want to though my bank account pretty much dictates when I work and for how long.
Has anyone ever puked in your car?
- No, which I am forever grateful for. I’ve reduced that risk greatly by not 2 a.m. bar let-outs though I do get the occasional day-drunks.
Have I been like a bartender-therapist to people in the car?
- Yes. I don’t mind because sometimes people just need to talk and I’m more than happy to listen.
How many ‘morning after’s’ (formerly known as the ‘walk of shame’) have I done?
- Lots. And occasionally I get the story. And I call them ‘morning after’s’ because I had a family in the car one night (mom, dad, two young girls) and the mom was up front with me asking me questions. She was about to say ‘walk of shame’ but I stopped her with ‘morning after’ then angled my head towards her daughters in the backseat. I didn’t feel right saying ‘walk of shame’ in front of young kids and I think I also kept the mom from having to explain that term to her daughters.
- I was offered pot in lieu of a tip twice in one week. First time was when I dropped this guy off and he said he didn’t have any cash on him for a tip so I told him he could tip me through the app. Then he offered me something to eat or drink (I politely declined) then he went, “Can I offer you a bag of weed?” I went, “Uh what?” because I wasn’t sure if I heard him correctly. He said yes rather enthusiastically but I declined and got out of there. Second time was a couple of days later when I was driving this lady home and she said she didn’t have cash for a tip so I told her she could tip in the app. Then she asked me if I wanted a joint but I declined smoothly by saying, “No, thank you, ma’am. I don’t smoke.”
- I’ve been asked out several times (declined firmly but politely) though I got a rather indecent proposal from this guy one night. He was drunk and hitting on me then he offered me money for an indecent time and I went, “Excuse me?” in a tone of voice that made it very clear he crossed a line. He apologized all over himself and I let him flop around like a fish on a hook for a minute or so before I told him, “Apology accepted.” He tipped me well so I let it slide.
If you would like to ask me something that wasn’t addressed here, please ask in the comments here and I’ll do my best to answer it. Thanks!